The West Indianapolis community (Oliver Street to Raymond, White River to Holt Ave) lies “between the rivers” of Eagle Creek and the White River. It is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Indy, with many West Indy families having lived here for multiple generations. In the spring of 2015, eight traffic signal control boxes, created by professional artists from designs voted on by a panel representing both art experts and the neighborhood residents, were painted as part of a Great Indy Cleanup project. Keep Indianapolis Beautiful’s Great Indy Cleanup program helps community groups organize to combat heavy litter and debris that has accumulated in public spaces such as streets, alleys, greenspaces, and waterways. Some cleanup efforts also include new plantings and community murals, all done by neighborhood volunteers. For more information about the Great Indy Cleanup program, visit http://www.kibi.org/programs/beautification/great-indy-cleanup/
This traffic signal box is located on the southwest corner of Harding and Howard street. The artist, Brandon Fields, uses expressive lines to show the fluidity of a race car’s motion. You can almost hear the noise, feel the vibrations, and energy associated with the sport of racing from just looking at this depiction of this single racer who is seated in his bright yellow racecar and surrounded by a crowd of blue silhouetted figures. The piece is located near the site of the factory that produced the Marmon Wasp, the car that won the first Indianapolis 500 race.
Radar No. 3
Arnaldo Pomodoro designed this bronze work in 1962. It is a gift from the Lannan Foundation. The Lannan Foundation is ” a family foundation dedicated to cultural freedom, diversity and creativity through projects which support exceptional contemporary artists and writers, as well as inspired Native activists in rural indigenous communities.”
Through bold color and design, Barb Stahl’s mural celebrates the power of one action. Just as a single drop of water creates colorful ripples, the work of the Mary Rigg Community Center is a catalyst for community development and pride.
The mural was one of 46 murals commissioned by the Arts Council of Indianapolis as part of its nationally renowned 46 for XLVI mural initiative.
Southwest of Martin Hall is Rain by Kevin Lyles. Rain uses steel and stone to capture Lyles’s impression of a rainstorm. His work is inspired by the inherent patterns, contrasts, textures, and contradictions in nature. He combines natural properties with the elements and principles of art and design to create work that interests and challenges him. Lyles has been a professor of art at the University of Rio Grande in southwest Ohio since 1990. He has a BFA from Abilene Christian University and an MFA in sculpture from Bradley University. Lyles’s work is included in private and public collections both regionally and nationally.
Quoted from: www.uindy.edu/arts/rain
Located near the west entrance to the Capital Center, this sculpture is the original cast of this work. A second cast was created by the artist and submitted for consideration in the 3rd Rodin Grand Prize Exhibition in 1990. The invitation to participate in this exhibition came after the president of the Hakone Open-Air Museum in Japan saw an image of this piece installed in Indianapolis. Frudakis won the Hakone Award for the work, and the second cast was purchased by the museum for its permanent collection.
More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaching_(sculpture)
The project’s concept is growth from a common and discarded material that is associated with shelter and structure. Baker wanted to engage the viewer with the beauty of nature constructed from man-made objects used in a new way, a house for composed of stacked, recycled bricks in the shape of flowers. The bricks are cut in various shapes to create different petal configurations. The flat exterior side of the flowers is glazed and refired with added decal imagery of china patterns, wall paper patterns and architectural details, referencing the history of ceramics and buildings. Two like shaped flowers are bolted to metal pipe with brick wall ties on the exterior which read as the center of the flower. The various pairs are stacked on a brick base in the form of a house.
Using wood as a primary material, Lowe creates sculptures that reference the myths and stories of his Ho-Chunk heritage. Based on the Woodlands landscape, his work explores the patterns of nature as it responds to generations of human intervention. “As a woodland Indian, I can’t ignore my environment . . . that’s what my work reflects,” he said. He hopes his emphasis on nature will encourage his audience to pay attention to environmental destruction. The “wood” structure in this piece is actually made of cast bronze and cast glass, which was completed at the Indianapolis Art Center with supervision from Lowe.
In memory of Sonja Eiteljorg from the Eiteljorg Family with support from Public Art Fund, Arts Council of Indianapolis, Indianapolis Cultural Development Commission
Quoted from: indplsartcenter.org/Assets/uploads/Artspark-brochure-2012.pdf
Return to Innocence
Flanked by two young girls blowing bubbles, Lueza’s mural includes a series of bubbles filled with strong color and imagery. As a Latin American artist and a mother of a young girl, the imagery in the circles represents various parts of the artist’s life.
The mural was one of 46 murals commissioned by the Arts Council of Indianapolis as part of its nationally renowned 46 for XLVI mural initiative.
Reunion was created in 1992 as a model for a larger Reunion sculpture now located in Kitakyushu, Japan. Originally made in balsa wood and foam core, it was later cast in bronze.
Originally, Reunion was located outside of the Indiana State Museum when the Museum was located at 202 N. Alabama Street, Indianapolis. The sculpture then moved to the original Herron School of Art location at 16th and Pennsylvania in Indianapolis. When Eskenazi Hall for the Herron School of Art was constructed in 2005, Reunion was then moved to the grounds of the new building. It is no longer on view, and was replaced by Gummer’s South Tower sculpture.
Don Gummer was born in Louisville, Kentucky on December 12, 1946. He attended Herron School of Art from 1964 to 1966, prior to attending the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. He also attended Yale University, where he received his BFA and MFA. Gummer, who is married to the actress Meryl Streep, currently lives in New York with his wife and children.
Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Survivors Park
Consisting of approximately .98 acres and established in 1995, Bloch Cancer Survivors Park is located at 985 Indiana Ave. The park is landscaped and offers a statue and facility for reflection, and is dedicated to Cancer Survivors. The park is one of about 5 in the country established by Richard and Annette Bloch. Richard Bloch is an 18-year cancer survivor and has a plan to build parks of hope across the nation. This Indianapolis park, which was the fifth to be built, received two 1996 Monumental Awards, a merit award for community development and an achievement award for downtown development from Keep Indianapolis Beautiful.
RIOS (Random Information Organization System)
RIOS is located in the P2 level elevator lobby of the Central Library’s parking garage. It is a wall relief made from cast glass, representing numerous shelves of books. To Francis, a library is the original “random information organization system.” From afar, the view is of infinite shelves of books stretching to eternity, starting in the garage and seemingly passing through a glass wall into the elevator lobby area. Upon closer inspection, the books are shown to be stacked idiosyncratically and they take on individual characteristics, almost like people. Titles are visible on some of them–such as Indianapolis native Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.’s Slaughter-house Five–and the viewer is left wondering about the connections between them.
Ed Francis received his B.S. in Fine and Applied Arts at Southern Connecticut State University and his M.F.A. in glass from Kent State University. He participated in the Creative Glass Center of America Fellowship Program and was a teaching assistant at Pilchuck and Haystack Mountain School of Crafts. In 1995 he started the glass program at the Indianapolis Art Center, and soon after founded Off Center Glass, a specialty glass production business. He has worked in studios across the country and taught at Alfred University, the Rochester Institute of Technology, and the Indianapolis Art Center. Ed is a professor of art and head of glass studies at Tidewater Community College’s Visual Arts Center in Portsmouth, Virginia.
Rivoli Park Labyrinth
The mural was inspired by an actual walkable labyrinth in the neighborhood. Rivoli Park Labyrinth and Dimensions and Trigrams were part of a grassroots experimental program Andrew Severns had created with Lisa Boyles to create “Harmony through Geometry”. The murals were completed with significant volunteer assistance.
For more information please go to https://shawndramiller.com/2014/11/04/many-hands/
For artist information visit https://www.facebook.com/andrewsevernsart
Roads to Deliberate Dreams: Indiana's Geniuses, Ti...
Indiana has a rich and illustrious history of innovation and invention in transportation and related industries. Akinlana, a mural artist from New Orleans, Louisiana, created two coordinating murals celebrating this history.
Images in the murals range from early modes of transportation to modern marvels. Included are references to the use of Indiana’s waterways, land and air for transportation and the inventiveness and determination of Indiana citizens to master transportation despite all odds. Particular attention is also given to address the role of African Americans and Native Americans in the growth and expansion of Indiana’s transportation legacy.
Each mural is 7ft high and 30ft wide, with additional elements that project out in certain areas of the composition. Sculptures are approximately life-size and cast in long lasting lightweight fiberglass, the sculptures are bolted into the existing walls support studs. The murals are located in the Baggage Claim area on either side of the main escalator.
Robert Dale Owen Memorial
Robert Dale Owen Memorial is a public artwork located at the south entrance of the Indiana Statehouse along Washington Street in Indianapolis, Indiana. The memorial was dedicated to the state of Indiana in 1911 in honor of the politician Robert Dale Owen (1807–1877). The bronze portrait bust by Indiana artist Frances Goodwin has been missing on this memorial since 1970. The remaining memorial pedestal is made from three stone blocks. The top pedestal includes a commemorative plaque.
The 200 pound bronze bust is in the likeness of a bearded Robert Dale Owen. The portrait bust sat on the top of the pedestal, in the center, facing the south entrance of the Statehouse. Presently, the bust is missing. The remaining memorial pedestal is composed of three stone blocks and stands 70 inches high. The lowest block is 45.5 inches wide, 42.5 inches deep, and 10 inches tall. The middle block measures 32" x 28.5" x 10". The top block is 24" x 21.5" x 50" .
A memorial plaque is centered on the face in the middle of the top block and measures 20" x 24". It reads:
1801-1877 / An Appreciation / Erected in the honor of Robert Dale Owen by the Women of Indiana in recognition of his efforts to obtain for them educational privleges and legal rights. / author, statesman, politician, philanthropist / "Write me as one who loved his fellow man."
In 1905, the Robert Dale Owen Memorial Association was granted permission from the state to place the future memorial in the rotunda of the Statehouse. Today the memorial sits outside of the Statehouse walls, facing the southern entrance to the building where it was dedicated in 1911.
When fundraising efforts began in 1905 for the Robert Dale Owen Memorial, it was called "a woman’s movement" and was meant to draw attention to the ongoing struggle for women’s sufferage. The Memorial Association intended to raise $2,000-$2,500 for the commission of a bust and memorial. Artist Frances Goodwin was chosen for the creation of the bust. After Goodwin’s clay model was approved by the Memorial Association and by Owen’s son, Ernest Dale Owen, the final bronze bust was cast in Paris.
The completed work was presented to the state on March 8, 1911, "as a lasting memorial to a man who for many years persistently labored to secure just laws concerning the educational and property rights of women." The governor, state legislature and Owen’s great grand niece, Martha Fitton, were in attendance at the dedication.
In 1905, the Robert Dale Owen Memorial Association was granted permission from the state to place the future memorial in the rotunda of the Statehouse. Today the memorial sits outside of the Statehouse walls, facing the southern entrance to the building where is was dedicated in 1911. The original memorial includes a portrait bust of the politician on a pedestal with commemorative plaque. On September 19, 1970, the portrait bust was stolen.
The Robert Dale Owen Memorial Association was formed on June 30, 1905 by the Federated Women’s Club of Indiana to urge the women of Indiana to help raise funds for the Robert Dale Owen Memorial. The Association was made up of ten women from around the state and led by Julia Conklin. The group published at least two pamphlets that were distributed around the state to educate women about their efforts. Robert Dale Owen and What He Did for Women of Indiana offered a brief biography of the politician. Another pamphlet appealed to the women of the state to help in fundraising efforts, detailed why women should care about a memorial for Owen, and presented many avenues for donation. To women’s clubs dedicated to raising funds, they offered to send Association members to meetings to speak about the life and legacy of Robert Dale Owen. George B. Lockwood sold autographed copies of his book New Harmony Communities and donated the proceeds to the cause. Julia Conklin did the same with her The Young People’s History of Indiana. The Women’s Club of New Harmony was the largest contributing group, raising $50 for the fund. In their final meeting on December 30, 1912, Association member Julia Sharpe presented her official record of the work accomplished by the group. The volume included illustrations of each member and a reproduction of the memorial bust. The group gave the book to the Indiana State Library as a reference for future generations.
Frances Murphy Goodwin (1855–1929) was born in Newcastle, Indiana to one of the city’s oldest families. Both she and her sister, Helen Goodwin, were well known in Indiana artist circles. Goodwin briefly attended The Indiana Art School before moving to the Art Institute of Chicago to study painting. She soon discovered her love for sculpting and eventually worked as a student under the sculptor Lorado Taft while at Chicago. She also studied sculpture at the Art Student’s League in New York City with the sculptor Daniel Chester French. Goodwin eventually traveled and studied art around Europe for four and a half years and set up a studio in Paris with her sister. She died in Newcastle at the age of seventy-four. A year later, in 1930, the Henry County Historical Society planned to commission a memorial for their grounds dedicated to Frances Goodwin and modeled after a bird fountain she had created at the Newcastle Public Library.
Frances Goodwin’s first commission was for Education, a sculpture displayed in the Indiana building at the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893 for which she earned an honorable mention. The statue later found its way into the Office of the Governor of Indiana. Goodwin’s other works include a marble statue of Schuyler Colfax in the senate gallery at the U.S. Capitol and a bronze memorial of Captain Everet Benjamin in New York. Her busts of Newcastle poet Benjamin S. Parker and Indianapolis rector Reverend James D. Stanley were on display both at the Historical Society of Henry County and at Herron School of Art in Indianapolis. She also sculpted many studies of baby hands, which were popular with the public. After living in Paris for a few years, she returned to the U.S. to compete for the commission of the Robert Dale Owen Memorial and opened a temporary studio in Indianapolis to create the clay mold of the future artwork. She returned to Paris to cast the final bronze bust.
Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dale_Owen_Memorial
The transformation of five traffic signal control boxes or “invisible canvases” around the Northeast Corridor is intended to promote pride and unite the community in the area. These boxes are collectively called The Big Picture Project, a public art initiative that uses the gateways of the community to share the stories of the neighborhood.
In the early 20th century, the Roberts Dairy Company was the most prominent among the dairy farms in the Village of Millersville. To commemorate Roberts Dairy, this traffic signal box has a collage of images of dairy milk bottles and the Roberts family home on three panels.
Quoted from http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=fcf86f7c3f5754fd259da4f7c&id=d8dedccfe8&e=14c2ef4487
Artsopolis Network Members: Akron OH | Albuquerque NM | Austin TX | Birmingham AL | Boston MA | Cape Cod MA | Charlotte NC | Cincinnati OH | Colorado Springs CO | Columbia SC | Flagstaff AZ | Flint MI | Fort Lauderdale FL | Houston TX | Indianapolis IN | Kalamazoo MI | Macon GA | Milwaukee WI | Monterey Bay CA | Montgomery County MD | Napa Valley CA | Nashville TN | Orange County CA | Orlando FL | Palm Beach County FL | Panama City FL | Providence RI | Quito, Ecuador | Rapid City SD | Richardson TX | Riverside CA | Sacramento CA | San Antonio TX | San Jose CA | St. Cloud MN | St. Croix Valley MN/WI | St. Johns County FL | Stillwater MN | Tallahassee FL | Tampa Bay FL | Utah | Ventura CA | York County PA
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.