Indiana Repertory Theatre Seeks Audience Development Manager
Posted: Apr 28, 2022
POSITION TITLE: Audience Development Manager
CREATED: April, 2022
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Director of Marketing & Sales FLSA STATUS: Exempt
ABOUT INDIANA REPERTORY THEATRE
The Indiana Repertory Theatre (IRT) was founded in 1972 and is the only theatre in Indiana to belong to the League of Resident Theatres (LORT). Historically, the IRT has produced nine productions annually across three stages (the OneAmerica Mainstage, the Upperstage, and the Cabaret) for diverse audiences. The repertoire includes work varying from world premieres to classics. The IRT serves audiences of multiple generations including students from pre-school through twelfth grade. With a significant endowment, the IRT is financially stable and looks forward to many more years of creating art for the Indianapolis community. Following many decades of diverse programming, the IRT leadership, in the past three years, has focused on further diversifying its staff and board, including ongoing anti-racist training for all.
Live theatre connects us to meaningful issues in our lives and has the power to shape the human experience. The mission of the Indiana Repertory Theatre is to produce top-quality, professional theatre and related activities, providing experiences that will engage, surprise, challenge, and entertain people throughout their lifetimes, helping us build a vital and vibrant community.
The Indiana Repertory Theatre will be a life-long destination of choice for an ever-expanding audience of all ages and backgrounds seeking enjoyable and meaningful experiences. Using theatre as a springboard for both personal reflection and community discussion, our productions and programs will inspire our neighbors to learn about themselves and others. As an arts leader in the state of Indiana, the IRT’s goal is to make Indiana a dynamic home of cultural expression, economic vitality, and a diverse, informed, and engaged citizenry.
COMMITMENT TO CREATING AND SUPPORTING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE
The IRT is committed to building an inclusive, welcoming Theatre that celebrates diversity in all areas of our work. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply. This includes, but is not limited to, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender, and non-binary candidates.
The Audience Development Manager develops, manages, and tracks marketing functions for all season ticket campaigns, developing the future sustainable audience of the Theatre’s Signature Six series. Representative duties include planning, budgeting, advertising, promotion, tracking, and reporting results across multiple sales channels. Identifies and implements best practices in audience engagement.
POSITION FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Collaborate with the Director of Marketing & Sales to develop strategies, pricing, and revenue goals.
• Plan marketing strategies and implement best practices to maximize income from fixed seated and flexible season ticket packages.
• Plan audience engagement strategies and campaigns to attract and retain patrons across product lines.
• Clearly communicate campaign timelines, packages and pricing, and train and message season ticket sales campaign to internal and external constituents.
• Monitor campaigns, analyze sales activities/trends and report results.
• Collaborate with members of the Marketing team to develop advertising collateral/materials (print, electronic, and digital).
• Write and edit programmatic and promotional copy for print collateral, website and other channels for season ticket and groups campaigns
• Strategize and communicate with IRT Ticket Office to implement inbound contact protocol and order fulfillment procedures that increase patron acquisition, retention, and average spend per household.
• Work with the Development department on the patron path, constantly monitoring leads to be used by Telemarketing and Telefunding, in addition to creating and communicating benefits that best suit the season ticket holder.
• Work with Telemarketing to coordinate outbound contact strategies and promotions.
• Supply Telemarketing leads across single ticket buyers, season renewals and acquisitions.
• Determine best practices for lead generation and database efficiencies.
• Monitor best practices of other theatre and entertainment organizations in the sales of season and single tickets including web seminars.
• Plan and execute a number of events including happy hours and events throughout the season for our season ticket holders.
• Manage sponsorships and partnerships across food, beverage, tickets, and hotels.
• Serve as IRT Marketing representation at various events to develop and maintain audience relationships.
• Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) work is critical in supporting our mission. IRT is committed to building an inclusive, welcoming theatre through meaningful, action-oriented education. All staff are required to participate in facilitated trainings, community readings and conversations, and anti-bias trainings. We expect employees to apply these learnings in all areas of our work at the theatre. Creating an anti-racist culture follows our core company values.
• Work with other departments within the organization and vendors as appropriate.
• Provides guidance to Ticket Office Representatives, Telecommunication agents and interns. • Other duties as determined by the Director of Marketing & Sales
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
• Four-year degree and 4+ years of relevant professional work experience in marketing, sales or communication.
• Advertising, direct response marketing, communications, event management and fundraising experience is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• Excellent verbal and communication and writing skills.
• Knowledge of theatre and appreciation of the arts.
• Comprehensive knowledge of direct mail, telemarketing, email, mobile, and social marketing strategies and best practices.
• Understanding of latest technologies and capabilities related to implementing campaigns. • Demonstrated ease with using databases and analytical tools/spreadsheets to perform analyses. Execute marketing strategies and communicate results.
• Experience with Tessitura.
• Possess a positive work attitude, initiative, attention to detail, follow-through, and strong communication skills. • Exceptional time management.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
• COVID-19 vaccination and proof of vaccination are required for employment at the IRT.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• Constantly operates a computer and other office machinery
• Must occasionally communicate and express oneself with, staff, donors, business & civic leaders in person, over the telephone or other electronic communication device.
• Must be able to sit at a work station for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to maneuver behind and around the stage and throughout the theatre to conduct business during rehearsals and performances.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please submit cover letter and resume to Danielle M. Dove, Director of Marketing & Sales at email@example.com, Subject: Audience Development Manager position. Application deadline: May 9, 2022. Position will remain open until filled with a qualified candidate.
Located in the heart of Indiana, Indianapolis is a vibrant city to live, work, and play. Indy, as the locals call it, is touted as the Crossroads of America, and you will feel the Midwest vibe as soon as you arrive.
Ranked 16th in the United States in city size with a population close to 878,000, Indy is big enough to explore neighborhoods and the surrounding area on the weekends and cozy enough to call home. The Indiana Repertory Theatre is in the heart of downtown in the historic Indiana Theatre building, located steps away from the Indianapolis Cultural Trail. Downtown Indianapolis is convenient for walking and biking and is easily navigable by IndyGo bus or car.
In addition to a thriving arts and cultural scene featuring the Indianapolis Zoo, Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, and The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, Indy is known for the Indianapolis 500, a myriad of sports teams including the Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Colts, and Indianapolis Indians, and a bustling music and diverse restaurant scene. Did we mention a
welcoming and convenient airport? The Indianapolis International Airport has been named the best airport in North America in 2012-2020 by Airports Council International.
Indy offers something for everyone in terms of affordable living for both home buying and renting. But don’t take our word for it:
• Forbes recently named Indianapolis as America’s Best City for Renters
• Good Housekeeping named Indy one of the Best Cities for First-Time Homeowners in the U.S.
And, Indy is a beautiful destination for residents and visitors alike:
• Condé Nast Traveler named Indy one of Best Places to Go in 2021
• Travel + Leisure names Indy one of the Best Places to Travel in 2021
• Reader’s Digest named Indy one of the best American cities for Live Music