The Art Museum of Greater Lafayette is seeking a talented and enthusiastic Pottery Studio Assistant to join the team. As a Pottery Studio Assistant, you will play a crucial role in supporting the operations and activities of the pottery studio. This position offers a part-time opportunity to engage with the museum’s vibrant art community while contributing to the growth and success of their pottery programs.
- Oversee the independent study program, ensuring proper use by registered students.
- Load, unload, and manage kiln firings to ensure the smooth operation of pottery firing processes and in consideration of class schedule.
- Maintain kilns, electrical, and plumbing systems to ensure their proper functioning.
- Change and clean air filters to ensure a healthy and safe studio environment.
- Work with Operations Manager to schedule maintenance repairs and order supplies.
- Work with Operations Manager to coordinate pottery studio instructors and classes.
- Mix glazes, stains, and slips according to established formulas for pottery production.
- Recycle clay and manage clay inventory to support ongoing pottery projects.
- Spot-clean the studio between scheduled cleaning sessions to maintain a clean and organized working environment.
- Clean clay traps and dispose of waste materials appropriately.
- Communicate information to pottery students through group emails and notifications.
- Create and manage a schedule for hall displays and coordinate with other museum events and exhibitions.
- Assist in processing payments for members participating in pottery programs.
- Serve as an after-hours contact for urgent pottery studio matters.
- Maintain communication channels with pottery students and Operations Manager to address inquiries and concerns.
- Serve as a backup for weekend museum staff to cover shifts when they are unavailable.
- Must be available to work evenings and some weekends.
- Previous experience working in a pottery studio or a similar environment is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of pottery techniques, materials, and equipment including kilns.
- Availability to teach pottery classes and process related paperwork, including student registration and attendance records.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to maintaining a clean and safe studio environment.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills for email communication and record-keeping.
Salary Range: Hourly salary of $14.75 – $15.75 for up to 15 hours per week.
This onsite position is part-time and hourly, and will frequently include evening and some weekend availability as required to fulfill responsibilities and for related museum activities. Ability to perform occasional light lifting, operate computers, printers, and telephones, and general mobility throughout the building required. A Simple IRA matching plan option is offered.
If you are passionate about pottery and thrive in a creative and collaborative atmosphere, you are invited to apply for the Pottery Studio Assistant position at the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Information: The Art Museum of Greater Lafayette (AMGL), a not-for-profit organization, has been privately funded since its founding in 1909. Located in Lafayette, Indiana, its thought-provoking exhibitions and dynamic programs enrich the lives of families throughout the region.
AMGL is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM), which is achieved by less than 5% of all museums in the United States. AMGL’s permanent art collection began in 1911, contains over 1,300 objects, and remains its most valuable asset.
The Art Museum of Greater Lafayette is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. They encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds and experiences.