IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.
Located in the Garfield Park neighborhood of Indianapolis, Indiana, the Artist and Public Life Housing Residency (APLR) is a long-term (minimum 7 years) ownership residency program intended to support artists who use their talents and skills to help drive positive change in the community. The goal is to create a perpetual system to help avoid displacement of artist neighbors from affordable housing and allow artists to enjoy equity as homeowners while they work, in part, to collaborate with other neighbors to boost the culture, creativity, livability, safety, health, and economy of the local and greater community. This project is linked to larger efforts on the block funded by a $3 million grant by Lilly Endowment, announced in December of 2018. Also, this program and process comes — in part — from the research and organizational efforts by Indianapolis-based artist and planner Danicia Monet.
Public information sessions will be at Tube Factory Art Space December 5th at 6 pm and December 7th at 11 am.
WHO IS BEHIND APLR?
This is a partnership between the socially-engaging art and placemaking organization Big Car Collaborative (“Big Car”), nonprofit developer Riley Area Community Development Corporation (“Riley”); and the Indianapolis Neighborhood Housing Partnership (“INHP”).
Additional keys to this project and the future of our Cruft Street micro community:
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A RESIDENT ARTIST?
We view the label of artists broadly, to include creatives, makers, culinary arts, designers – anyone who considers themselves an artist. Artists will engage in the program, focusing on the Garfield Park neighborhood for their first three years. They then may have a sabbatical from public work if they desire. In the next three years, the artist can propose work for the community more broadly (beyond the neighborhood) if they desire. So the commitment to public work is for seven years with one year off in the middle. This plan and timeframe is negotiable and can be adjusted with each artist resident.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Qualifying artists, selected by a panel of Partnership and neighbors, co-own the home with our Partnership. Just over half of the cost of the home is owned by the Partnership, (51%) The Artist will own the other half of the home (49%) while also committing to building participation with Big Car in the Garfield Park Neighborhood, the greater Indianapolis community and statewide community arts projects. These APLR homes have been developed at total cost ranging from $100,00 to $145,000. The 49% of the property will be sold to the Artists in a range of $45,000 to $55,050. IHNP will provide financing for the homeowner if needed. Under a shared ownership model, the Artist-HomeOwner will benefit from gaining equity paid into home ownership. Both the Partnership and the Artist-HomeOwner have defined ownership responsibilities under a structure similar to a condominium. Should the Artist decide to leave the program and the home, the Partnership will purchase the Artist-HomeOwner’s interest in the home based on a fixed purchase price. The Partnership will then find a new resident Artist-HomeOwner under the same selection criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PHZ6YFV to indicate your interest in the program and start the prequalification process.
QUESTIONS? Contact Shauta Marsh, firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-450-6630.
© 2021 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.