IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.
Big Car Collaborative is an arts organization working in partnership with a nonprofit community development corporation to support the neighborhood where they are based and where multiple staff members live. The goal of this program is to allow artists enjoyable and equitable home ownership while they work, in part, to collaborate with other neighbors and boost the culture, creativity, diversity, livability, safety, health, and economy of the local and greater community.
Located in the Garfield Park neighborhood of Indianapolis, Indiana, this long-term ownership residency program is an innovative approach to supporting artists who use their talents and skills to help drive positive change in the community. The program works like a land bank of sorts for artist housing. The idea is to keep the houses outside of market forces and maintain an affordable place for artists to be able to be homeowners in the community. The houses used in this program were previously vacant, some for a long time. No existing residents were displaced.
Ultimately, Big Car will be teaming up with resident artists who see their work with the public — and their work for the benefit of the community — as at the core of their practice and their production as artists.
Budget: This is a home ownership program for artists; artists do not receive a fee or budget, but they will be able to build the equity that comes with home ownership. ***note: there is a $25 fee to apply to the program***
Eligibility: Applicants must be artists. Applicants may come from anywhere in the U.S. or abroad. The label of “artist” is viewed broadly, to include creatives, makers, designers — anyone who considers themselves an artist. Fields may include — and are not limited to — architecture, culinary art, curation, visual art, public art, furniture, fashion, craft, design, film and video, creative writing and journalism, performing arts, music, theater, placemaking, socially engaged art, etc.
Program details: The selected residency artists will co-own the homes with Big Car’s partnership at a reduced price particular to each home. Just over half of the cost of the home is owned by the partnership (51%). The artist will own the other half of the home (49%) while also committing to building participation and strengthening community through art, along with Big Car. Should the artist decide to leave the program and the home, the partnership will purchase the artist homeowner’s investment in the home based on a fixed purchase price. That means the artist homeowner will be able to get what they paid into the house back out should they decide to sell. But, as artists participating in the program, they are not required to sell or move unless they choose to do so.
Resident artists will receive research and training support from Big Car staff and others as they’ll be representing the partnership in the community. In return for receiving a discount on homeownership, artists agree to the following:
Selection criteria: Qualifying artists will be selected by a panel of experts on community-focused art and housing (some from other cities) and neighbors.
How to apply
Houses are open in multiple phases. Applications for the first round of (2) homes available for occupancy are being accepted on a rolling basis between March 1, 2017 – April 14, 2017. Applicants will be notified by May 31, 2017 via the email listed in the application.
Follow the steps below:
There is an information session at the Tube Factory Artspace on April 5, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. for interested artists.
QUESTIONS? Contact Danicia Monet, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
© 2020 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.