Take a monochromatic journey by viewing artwork by local artists featuring different shades and tints of black, white, and gray. Artwork in a variety of mediums, including painting, photography, drawing, and more, allow you to look more closely at the subject matter when it’s void of color and give you a sense of nostalgia. Explore how these artists use monochromatic palettes to demonstrate light, shadows, shades, and tints in these beautiful pieces.
Any artists with work that fits the theme of this exhibition are encouraged to apply. Please see requirements and guidelines below. Artists can submit their artwork and supplemental information to GPAC@Indy.gov. Deadline to submit is by end-of-day on December 29. Artists will be notified shortly after the deadline.
Requirements and Guidelines to Submit:
- Unless otherwise specified, acceptable media include, but are not limited to: painting, drawing, fiber arts, digital art, video, performances, music, photography, sculpture, ceramics, mixed-media, collage, assemblage, mosaics, metalsmithing and woodworking.
- Artists can submit multiple pieces of artwork. All artwork must be original. There is no fee to submit.
- GPAC will promote works for sale, but any art sales will be coordinated and communicated directly through the artist and patron. GPAC will not take a 10% commission on any works sold through 2020 exhibits in order to support artists during the pandemic.
- Please indicate your desire to participate in the show by emailing GPAC@Indy.Gov by or before the deadline and include the following:
- Contact Info: artist name, address, phone number, email
- Social media handles and website (if applicable). These will be published with each artist’s info to help promote the artists in this online exhibit.
- High quality images of your work in jpg or png format. Include your last name and the artwork title for the image filename. No glares, shadows, blurred, or pixelated images, please. Please ensure that your images are at least 600-800 pixels on the short edge. GPAC reserves the right to slightly crop and adjust images to fit the online platform for virtual exhibits.
- For each piece submitted, please also include the title, medium(s), dimensions, and price (or NFS, if not for sale)
- For virtual exhibitions only:
- A brief artist statement or bio (can also include a headshot). GPAC will publish this along with your pieces to promote the artists in this online exhibit. If including a headshot, please send this as an image file.
- Indicate which image will be your First Friday featured work and include a brief description of that piece (1-2 sentences). GPAC will use the description and featured work to promote on Instagram during First Friday. To help showcase artists further, they plan to post one featured artwork per artist participating in this show and encourage guests to follow, engage with, and potentially purchase pieces of artwork to support Indianapolis artists and show that #IndyKeepsCreating.
- For onsite exhibitions only:
- Freestanding work must not exceed seventy‐two (72) inches in height or fifty (50) pounds. Original 2D works must not be larger than 48” x 60.”
- All works must be ready to hang or install upon arrival. If your piece hangs, some sort of hanging structure, such as a wire, must be included as they cannot hang anything from the ceiling. Please contact GPAC for information or questions.
- Please note that artists cannot store any packing materials at GPAC. All materials used to transport and protect artwork must be taken back with the artist, or they will be disposed of. If shipped, artwork must be picked up at the end of the exhibit. GPAC cannot ship any artwork back to the artist. Please contact GPAC, if you have questions regarding this policy.
- Please note that virtual exhibitions and First Friday opening receptions will only revert back to onsite shows when it is safe to do so per official regulations by Marion County and the City of Indianapolis. GPAC will make announcements on their website & social media, notify all artists who have submitted, and have safety precautions in place to keep all guests safe if/when they move forward with these measures.
- By submitting your artwork, you are agreeing to participate in a virtual or onsite exhibition hosted by GPAC. Images of artwork will be used for promotion only and/or for virtual exhibits and virtual First Friday.
Questions? Email GPAC@Indy.Gov