IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.
Request for Proposals
The Greensburg Decatur County Public Library is seeking artists (or artistic teams) to design and paint four (4) benches. The Library is inviting artists from different areas of Indiana to paint and embellish fiberglass benches (Book Benches) in the shape of open books, drawing on themes and inspiration for their designs from a pre-chosen list of beloved children and young adult books. These Book Benches will be placed at the Greensburg Library (2) and one each at Rebekah Park and the Tree County Players Playhouse on Main St. These locations are within the ARTisTREE District as designated by the Greensburg City Council in August of 2018. This project intends to encourage reading, provide a place for people to rest, and to instill in the community an understanding and appreciation of public art.
The artists chosen for this project will serve as independent contractors of the Greensburg Decatur County Public Library, serving as the steward of grant funds received from Greensburg / Decatur County Tourism, the Greensburg Decatur County Community Foundation and Memorial/Honorarium contributions to the Library’s Memorial Fund.
The Greensburg Decatur County Public Library shall retain ownership of the bench and the design, including, but not limited to, reproduction rights, physical maintenance, and lifespan. The Library reserves the right to donate the off-site benches to the property owners for care and upkeep if necessary. In all uses of the bench, the creative product will be credited to the artist.
• To commission artists (or artist teams) to design and paint four (4) benches; and
• To enhance the city of Greensburg with an immersive art experience that can be enjoyed by all.
• Request for Proposal (RFP) Published: March 15, 2021
• RFP Addendum: March 29, 2021 (if necessary)
• Deadline for Submissions: April 16, 2021, 5 p.m. (ET)
• Notification of Finalist(s): On or before April 30, 2021
• Pick up benches: May 1 – May 8, 2021
• Drop off completed benches: June 7 – June 11, 2021. Benches will need to be delivered to Enneking Auto Body of Greensburg, Inc. 1667 N Michigan Ave, Greensburg, IN 47240 for sealing.
• Pick up and drop off dates and times will need to be coordinated with the Library representatives, Lori Durbin at firstname.lastname@example.org or Vanessa Martin at email@example.com All terms and conditions will be laid out in a contract to be signed by the artist and the Library representative upon selection of the artist.
• The design should:
o be original ideas directly from the artist; and
o be transformative in nature, no direct copies of covers or illustrated scenes pulled directly from the book.
• Each design should cover the entire bench, front, back, and sides. The bottom of the structure should be left unpainted.
o The bench measures 48″x38″x38″, weighs 180 lbs., has white primer, and is ready to paint.
o Fabrication is a fiberglass book sculpture with a steel bottom plate which can be bolted down to a platform.
o Material additions and/or extensions are prohibited; all art must be 2 dimensional. No sculpture, fabric or other 3-dimensional facets are allowed.
o A vinyl application or plastic weather resistant plaque will be applied to the bench in the lower right-hand corner of the back of the bench, approximately 6 inches x 6 inches and it will include artist name, title of artwork, and the names of the sponsoring groups.
o Any additional revisions that are requested for the design must be submitted at least 5 days prior to contract signing.
• This project is open to all artists, including students.
o Students currently studying art in high school and/or secondary education institutions are highly encouraged to submit proposals.
• Call is open to artists statewide.
• Experience with public art is preferred, but not required.
• Artists must be willing to meet all contractual obligations and adhere to the project timeline.
• The Greensburg Decatur County Public Library with grant funding from Greensburg Decatur County Tourism and the Decatur County Community Foundation will compensate each artist/artist team in the amount of $1,000.00 per design. Each design compensation will be made in two payments of $500.00, one at contract signing and one upon finished design approval pending necessary adjustments. Invoices are required for payment. Contract signing can be done electronically if necessary – for those who might live outside the county.
The selected artist(s) shall be responsible for the following:
• Arranging to pick up the benches from the Greensburg Decatur County Public Library and deliver the finished bench to Enneking Auto Body of Greensburg, Inc., for clear coating. Benches are approximately 180 lbs. and will fit in the back of a pickup truck.
o Benches will be prepped and primed when picked up, and once the artist has completed the design and returned it to the Enneking Auto Body of Greensburg, Inc., it will be clear coated with an automotive sealant.
• Providing their own painting supplies; please see the Attachment B and B.2 for painting tips and recommendations.
• If a design changes radically from the initial proposal, a new design specification must be submitted. If the design changes radically and no new specs are submitted, the artists will not receive the balance of the contracted compensation and will be expected to return the initial good-faith installment.
• Proposals must be submitted to the Greensburg Decatur County Public Library no later than April 16, 2021, 5 p.m. (ET)
• Submissions must be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Submissions must include:
o Title of Book with brief description of imagery/meaning/concept
o PDF File of Design
o The bench sketches provided – Attachment D – show four angles: front, back, and both sides. Indicate your intended illustration on all four
surfaces on four separate sheets. You may submit designs for up to three different books. Identify each submission with your name as well as the
title and author of your book choice.
• Photos of unfinished benches are provided in Attachment C. Please note the ridged “page edges” on the front and sides.
• A title of the design and a brief description of the art piece. This will be used during the review of the submission, and if chosen, will be used for public relations/media announcements regarding the project.
• Resume including contact information for at least three (3) professional or teacher references.
• Three (3) Examples of Previous Work, either professional or school related.
o Clearly identify each photograph with your name and medium used in the work.
• Clarity of design
• Clearly depicts book choice
• Vibrancy of color choices
• Design must reflect a book that is on the approved list; for the list of books – please see Attachment A
• Only one selection of any particular book title will be chosen for execution.
A group of the following will review all eligible proposals to select finalists for each bench:
• Decatur County Arts Council
• Local Librarians
• Final decision of the design will be approved by the governing body of each location.
Adjustments to Design Concept
Any artist submitting proposals should be aware that the Greensburg Decatur County Public Library reserves the right to require changes to the design to ensure appropriateness for all audiences. Any additional revisions that are requested by the artist must be submitted within five (5) days of contract signing.
• Selected Artist(s) will be required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement to prevent sharing of the winning design before it is unveiled. This includes, but is not limited to, social media and personal portfolios, etc.
• Once the benches have been unveiled, artists are welcome to share their designs in their portfolio and/or social media accounts.
• If desired, artists may see the unfinished benches at the Greensburg Decatur County Public Library during regular open hours. Please contact Lori, email@example.com to arrange a day and time.
Contact for Questions or Additional Information
Lori Durbin – Greensburg Decatur County Public Library Public Services Manager Decatur County Arts Council Board Member firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-663-2826
Vanessa Martin – Greensburg Decatur County Public Library Director
email@example.com or 812-663-2826
Jill Pratt – Greensburg Decatur County Public Library Children’s Librarian
firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-663-4455
The Greensburg Decatur County Public Library does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities.
© 2021 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.