Hendricks Live!, Inc. seeks a relationship-oriented problem-solver who is passionate about arts and culture as its General Manager. Working collaboratively with the Executive Director, the General Manager will oversee event, front-of-house, production and ticketing operations for a new performing and fine arts venue currently under construction in historic downtown Plainfield, Indiana. The venue is slated to open in Spring of 2024.
This is a unique opportunity to help launch a prominent, regional arts organization and to lead the operational functions that will ensure its success.
Who Is Hendricks Live?
Hendricks Live! is a nonprofit arts and entertainment venue whose mission is to create memorable experiences for central Indiana’s diverse communities by presenting, producing, and hosting exceptional art, entertainment, and community events.
Located less than 30 minutes from Indianapolis, Hendricks Live! is an integral component of the Town of Plainfield’s Downtown Redevelopment Plan to protect the long-term future of its historic downtown. One of Indiana’s most enterprising towns in one of its fastest growing counties, Plainfield is home to an expanding diverse population, award-winning schools, exceptional healthcare, and extensive shopping and outdoor recreation opportunities. Hendricks Live! was developed in partnership with the Hendricks County Community Foundation and the Hendricks County Arts Council to magnify the county’s reputation as a destination for high-caliber arts and culture.
Featuring a 600-seat performance hall, 160-seat event space, and public art galleries, Hendricks Live! will be the premier community, art, and entertainment venue on Indy’s west side. Showcasing the work of local, regional, and national artists, Hendricks Live! will spotlight the best of Hendricks County while bringing the best to Hendricks County. The program calendar will include a variety of creative styles and disciplines including classical, jazz, country and pop music, theatre, dance, film, comedy, and special events. In addition, Hendricks Live! will host community meetings, corporate events, weddings, and social gatherings, as well as educational programs.
Through this work, Hendricks Live! will serve as a unifying force for Hendricks County and the surrounding communities, igniting hearts, opening minds, and celebrating the human experience.
Who You Are:
- You are an inclusively minded individual who believes in equal opportunity for all.
- You are a theatre operations and/or venue management professional with a broad understanding of the theories, techniques and best practices of your field and an eagerness to learn new knowledge areas.
- You are a passionate advocate for the arts and want to build a cultural resource for a community.
- You are adept at developing processes and systems.
- You are a relentless self-starter with grit and determination.
- You are comfortable juggling multiple projects in a high-paced environment.
- You take responsibility to learn what you don’t know.
- You are very organized and understand how to prioritize your tasks and time.
- You take great pride in offering exceptional guest experiences.
- You enjoy working individually and as part of a team.
- You know how to laugh and keep it all in perspective.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the Events, Guest Services, and Production departments, overseeing venue rentals, box office, front-of-house, concessions and theatrical tech functions.
- Hire, supervise and mentor Events Manager. Proactively market venue rentals and ensure seamless execution of engagements. Oversee recruitment of part-time Events staff. Assist in setting professional development goals and conduct performance evaluations.
- Hire, supervise and mentor Guest Services Manager. Optimize box office, front-of-house, and concessions operations with a goal of 100% guest satisfaction. Oversee recruitment of part-time Guest Services staff and initiate a dynamic volunteer management program. Ensure all spaces are always guest ready, including oversight of custodial and maintenance contracts. Assist in setting professional development goals and conduct performance evaluations.
- Hire, supervise, and mentor Production Manager. Advise that production demands can be met and flawlessly executed. Oversee recruitment of part-time Production staff to support engagements. Ensure maintenance and performance of venue equipment. Assist in setting professional development goals and conduct performance evaluations.
- Execute contract terms for presentations, co-productions, and exhibits. Track and manage adherence to contractual obligations with artists and performers.
- Supervise travel, hotels, and hospitality for visiting artists.
- Work with senior leadership to develop and track annual operating budget; create and maintain departmental budgets and budgets for programs and events; track expenditures and execute event settlements.
- Work with senior leadership to develop and implement operational processes and adopt technology systems that promote collaboration and efficiency.
- Work with Director of Development to track and manage sponsorship fulfillment and adherence to donor obligations.
- Assist fundraising efforts and events with operational and production support as necessary. Steward and cultivate stakeholder relationships whenever possible.
- Attend board meetings as requested and report on programs and operations.
- Maintain office inventory and order supplies and materials.
- Represent Hendricks Live! in the community and in the media as necessary.
This position oversees a full-time Event Manager, Guest Services Manager and Production Manager.
- Minimum of four (4) years senior management experience at a performing arts center, theatre or touring entertainment venue required; bachelor’s degree in related field, such as arts administration, venue management, nonprofit management, or theatre preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding and passion for the performing arts and live entertainment industry required.
- Experience managing teams and coaching, developing, training, and recognizing staff required.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills required.
- Advanced knowledge of venue management and operations as demonstrated through education and/or experience is strongly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting, budgeting, billing, and show settlement as demonstrated through education and/or experience is strongly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of production and rental advancing process and contract management as demonstrated through education and/or experience is strongly preferred.
- Intermediate knowledge of principles of marketing, programming, sales, and box office management, as demonstrated through education and/or experience is preferred.
Please note that the General Manager will temporarily work under the umbrella of the Hendricks County Community Foundation while the nonprofit, Hendricks Live! Inc., is being formed (Estimated first quarter 2023). Hendricks County Community Foundation is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to making Hendricks County a better place.
This position is eligible for health insurance benefits through Hendricks County Community Foundation.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com
Submissions will be accepted until January 31, 2023 or until the position is filled.
To learn more and apply, click here.