Reports To: President and CEO
Direct Reports: No
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Status: Salary
The Director of Events leads the development, planning, execution and sales of the annual Summer Celebration exhibition hall, the Circle City Classic, and other special events for the Indiana Black Expo, Inc. and is responsible for assisting the President and CEO with effective coordination and implementation of all events to advance the organization’s mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees Coordinators for the Summer Celebration, the Circle City Classic,
- Builds and maintains relationships with vendors, exhibitors, and program committee chairpersons
- Interacts closely with corporate sponsors regarding their exhibitor needs
- Leads the development, implementation and execution of events surrounding the Summer Celebration and Circle City Classic, including the All White Affair, Free Concert, Corporate Luncheon, Paid Concert, Health Fair, Employment Opportunity Fair, Fashion Show, Cultural Arts Pavilion, History Exhibit, Golf Tournament and other events as assigned
- Serves as organization liaison to the Indiana Convention Center, caterer, certified decorator, security companies and other vendors that are associated with the implementation of the Summer Celebration, Circle City Classic, and manages and maintains the Special Events department budget
- Maintains databases of exhibitors and manages exhibit floor layout via ExpoCad software
- Works closely with IBE’s Finance Department on exhibitor and event sales, and financial procedures for events
- Displays understanding of contracts and negotiations through closely working with event promoters, consultants, city and state officials, and other partners for Summer Celebration and Circle City Classic
- Independently compiles and prepares correspondence and reports relating to, and on behalf of the President, and develops presentations and briefings as required
- Edits, proofreads and reviews items prior to distribution and/or President’s signature
- Assists with the creation and preparation of presentations (particularly PowerPoint presentations) as well as possesses the ability to independently create well-polished presentations
- Exercises excellent judgment and discretion with confidential or sensitive materials
- Manages multiple priorities and work effectively under tight deadlines
- Manages calendars to include the coordination of meetings
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Performs other duties as assigned, and undertakes special tasks as required by Executive Leadership
Minimum Core Competencies
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Event Management and 3+ years of experience in project management and coordinating programs at the departmental level. The Director of Events, in partnership with Executive Leadership, must establish and maintain corporate relationships, manage and coordinate volunteers in a nonprofit setting. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and CAD software is required. Proficiency in MS Office, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is required. Must have a track record that demonstrates:
- Ability to project manage all aspects of events solutions for the company both technical and non-technical.
- Create and maintain detailed project plans; clearly articulating work breakdown structures of deliverables by phase, activity, and task; with role assignments and estimates to complete on each task
- Sound job knowledge including the blending and application of job related education, experience and skills to meet the requirements of the job
- Routinely anticipates work requirements and makes necessary preparations and provisions for allotting time and resources to complete work assignments
- Ability to think independently and to demonstrate resourcefulness and a willingness to suggest new ideas or opinions for improvements. Voluntarily starts projects and attempts non-routine tasks when necessary
- Dependability and trustworthiness to adhere to all organizational policies, rules and regulations.
- Partners with Finance to form sound business case for Events and measures financial performance.
- Ability to help and work harmoniously with supervisor, co-workers, volunteers
- Capacity to make reasonable choices and the ability to define and analyze problems or situations. When necessary, routinely takes the proper course of action and weighs benefits against costs.
- Strong oral communication skills including the ability to speak and be understood, to listen actively, and to answer questions accurately and in a timely manner
- Strong written communication skills and produces concise, readable and effective written documents
- Resiliency to accept and cope with changes in procedures, assignments, situations or management decisions.
- Effectively articulates organization’s mission, vision, and goals
- Ability to receive performance feedback and use it for professional development
- Reports to work with a positive attitude and is seldom late or absent
Daily contact with staff at all levels, media, constituents, sponsors, vendors, exhibitors, contractors, volunteers, the general public, and chapter representatives, etc.
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature and the like
- Regular exposure to video display terminals, on and off site event participation, and periodic travel
- Communicate: Required for negotiations, heavy communications by telephone, face-to-face, and public presentations
- Dexterity: Required for heavy keyboard use and heavy paper handling
- Detect: Required to review detailed proposals/forms/contracts, conduct research, travel, view computer monitor, and make individual and/or public presentations
- Stationary position: Required for the ability to remain in the stationary position for 50%t of the time
- Transport: Required to lift equipment, files, and other items up to 20 lbs from the floor needed to travel locally/nationally
- Traverse: Required to ascend/descend stairs
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all related duties that may be requested to perform.
Please send any replies, questions, etc., to firstname.lastname@example.org. Direct calls to 317 923-3049.