Facilitated by Hue Murals
Description: The Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center seeks 4 Indiana-based artists to curate four interior, 2D murals in the newly-renovated, temperature-controlled Indiana Farm Bureau Fall Creek Pavilion. The century-old swine barn at the beloved State Fairgrounds underwent a $50 Million renovation and will debut to the public at the 2023 Indiana State Fair July 28th through August 20th.
The State Fairgrounds will showcase and celebrate local artists within the community by installing four custom pieces of art in the lobby areas to this new facility. Each of the four walls consists of primed drywall and measures 96”x120”. The murals are intended to be part of a long-term installation at the State Fairgrounds and should be curated to transcend time and generations. The murals should focus on one of four themes or storylines, as described below. Designs must be positive, inclusive, family-friendly, nonpolitical, nonpartisan, and nonviolent.
(1) Community – the Indianapolis community at large, and/or representing the Fairgrounds community of events outside of the State Fair
(2) Music and Entertainment – experiences in Indy, and at the Fairgrounds, portrayed through gatherings of people celebrating and making memories
(3) Sports – given the Fairgrounds’ rich tradition with sports throughout the years, and in addition to recent partnerships through track and field, volleyball, and other sporting events to Indy (no references to professional sports teams allowed for legal reasons); history of sports at the State Fairgrounds includes: basketball, ice skating, auto racing, youth tournaments, hockey and so much more
(4) Indiana State Fair – Legacy, Traditions & Fun – showcasing the greatest of summertime traditions, the Great Indiana State Fair.
NOTE: Artists are *not* responsible for priming or sealing the wall, nor are they responsible for maintaining the artwork, although they must protect the floor and installation area from damage during installation. Artists will maintain the right to the intellectual property of their work. Artists that digitally design works are especially encouraged to apply, as there are potential opportunities for image licensing in the future through separate contracts. Each Artist will receive a $5,000 commission and will undergo a maximum of two rounds of client feedback in the design process.
Artist Fee: $5,000.00 per artist or artist team. The artist will be provided with a primed wall on which to install approved mural artwork. All materials, ladders, travel, insurance, and other fees will be at the expense of the artist. The artist will *not* be responsible for any sealing or maintenance associated with the work after completion. The artist will retain intellectual property rights to the work.
Installation Dates: Artists may begin installing work as early as July 20th. Murals must be completed no later than August 18th, 2023. Exact installation dates and times will be solidified upon contracting with the Artist. Live painting during State Fair open hours is an option, but not required.
March 31, 2023 – RFQ issued
May 22, 2023 – 5pm deadline for submissions via the online application form
May 29, 2023 – 4 final artists are notified of selection by the ISFC
June 2, 2023 – Artist deadline to sign contract and return w9, waiver, COI
June 19, 2023 – First draft of design concepts are due to ISFC
July 7, 2023 – Design concepts are fully approved by all parties
July 20 to August 18, 2023 – Mural Installations occur
August 20, 2023 – Mural Unveiling at formal media event
Application Instructions: This application process is online only, via an online form. Artists need to fill out the online form by May 22, 2023 at 5:00pm EST. Submissions must be received and time stamped by 5:00pm EST on this day in order to be considered. The online form requires the following information, in addition to contact info:
The application form can be found at https://forms.gle/fE7qYAbiJf32JCwy5
**Please only use the online form to send materials – do not email or mail any submission materials.**
Artist Selection: Finalists will be selected based upon the following criteria:
1. Artist merit and technical expertise
2. Demonstrated successful and effective approach to public art projects of a similar scope
3. Artistic style, and if the artist’s style and ethos are in line with the ISF brand
For questions about submission, please contact Koda Witsken.