Purpose of Position:
The Public Program Manager is responsible for researching, developing, facilitating, promoting and evaluating public, family and adult programs for the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites. This position is also responsible for the supervision and training of the part-time Public Program Engagement Specialist. Incumbent is responsible for cultivating partnerships to support programs and build relationships within the community. This position is also responsible for working collaboratively across departments to enhance the visitor experience and support the museum’s mission.
- Develop, manage and administer programs for public, adult and family audiences including large scale events, community festivals and events, holiday programs, classes, and other public programs.
- Identify and cultivate key community program partners such as community organizations, libraries, museums, universities, artists and cultural institutions to advance the museum mission
- Work with the Vice President of Programs and Education Engagement and other departmental staff to develop and implement strategic goals, objectives and action plans for public, adult and family programs
- Coordinate a comprehensive public, adult and family program plan and schedule
- Train and oversee volunteers who support museum programming
- Serve on museum-wide, cross-departmental teams as assigned
- Evaluate programs through formal and informal tools and produce relevant reports
- Work with marketing and communications staff to develop and implement a marketing plan in support of programs
- Foster strong local, regional and national network of peers in related fields
- Other duties as assigned
Community and Outreach Responsibilities:
- Establish and manage relationships with potential and ongoing community partners
- Present workshops and sessions on various topics at local and statewide museum and education associations and organizations
Operations and Supervision:
- Supervise part-time Public Program Engagement Specialist
- Manage and facilitate public, adult and family programs including special events, festivals and classes
- Coordinate training of staff, interns or volunteers for public programs
- Coordinate with visitor services all communication of public programs for staff and general public
- Identify problems and provide solutions for operations, staffing and program issues
- Provide excellent customer service to audiences attending programs, as well as to all visitors within the museum
- Prepare and administer project budgets for public programming
- Bachelors Degree in relevant field required. Masters Degree in relevant field preferred.
- Three-five years museum or cultural institution experience; administrative experience preferred.
- Knowledge of non-traditional teaching methods.
- Knowledge of trends in museum education. Knowledge of similar programs in other museum and education settings.
- Evidence of creative program development.
- Ability to relate to diverse audiences personally and through programs.
- Ability to respond effectively to evaluations and to accept critical suggestions.
- Familiarity with ADA compliance rules and procedures and awareness of cultural sensitivity issues.
- Strong public speaking, organizational, networking and public relations skills.
- Critical thinking and analysis skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Coordinate with marketing trends related to education program customers.
- Broad understanding and experience in museum education for diverse audiences.
- Supervisory abilities and effective human resource skills.
- Research skills and ability to produce accurate information.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate concepts and information on a variety of Indiana-related topics for diverse audiences.
- Ability to create and manage budgets.
- Valid Indiana driver’s license.
For more information and to apply, click here.