IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.
The Orchestra Personnel Manager (OPM) is responsible for effectively managing the orchestra personnel and related record keeping. The OPM shall be responsible for timekeeping at all services, for contracting of extra and substitute musicians, and for handling all matters regarding personnel. The OPM shall act as a liaison between Management, Orchestra members, the Musicians’ Union and Conductors. REPRESENTATIVE
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assure the appropriate complement of musicians for all services, including hiring and managing extra and substitute musicians as needed.
• Serve as liaison between the musicians and administration of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, supporting institutional goals and acting as counsel and a resource for orchestra musicians.
• Administer the musician audition process.
• Maintain a mutually effective relationship through regular communication with the Orchestra Committee.
• Serve as liaison with the American Federation of Musicians, Local #3.
• Manage orchestra musician assignments including rotation, relief, and leave. Ensure appropriate substitute musicians are engaged, and rosters are communicated as required.
• Measure and record start and stop times for all orchestra services.
• Record attendance and maintain official records and tally weekly attendance. Be present at all orchestral rehearsals and performances.
• Administer the time off approval process for musicians.
• Coordinate with Director of Artistic Planning and Director of Orchestra Operations on instrumentation for each performance.
• Prepare contracts for new hires, long‐term substitutes, and annual contracts for tenured musicians ensuring relevant paperwork is completed and passed on to Human Resources in a timely manner.
• Work closely with Director of Orchestra Operations on the Orchestra Personnel budget.
• Prepare orchestra payroll and coordinate with Human Resources on accurate and timely payroll information.
• Provide Human Resources with all confidential personnel records. • Assure effective communication between musicians, the Music Director, Director of Artistic Planning, guest conductors and artists, and the staff.
• Work closely with the Director of Orchestra Operations and the VP of Human Resources to address all confidential personnel matters.
• Oversee transportation logistics for musicians for all runout concerts.
• Manage all on-stage announcements during rehearsals.
• Assure compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement by studying its’ terms and provisions and reporting any violations immediately to Director of Orchestra Operations and VP of Human Resources.
• Manage the organization’s instrument insurance policy.
• Update personnel list of the orchestra and inform Music Director of tenure decisions that need to be made.
• B.S./B.A. in music and substantial knowledge of the workings of a major symphony orchestra. Must be able to make decision in a timely and effective manner, often balancing the policy and needs of the organization with the requests of the individuals. Ability to manage diverse groups of individuals and address multiple priorities. Must be able to work effectively under high levels of stress. Requires excellent interpersonal communication skills and time management. Requires excellent technical and analytical skills. Must be able to work weekends, evenings, holidays and flexible hours that align with the musicians’ services.
© 2021 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.