Indiana Repertory Theatre
Director of Sales & Marketing
The Indiana Repertory Theatre (IRT) seeks a Director of Sales & Marketing. Reporting to the Managing Director, the successful candidate will become an important part of the theatre’s leadership team, working with the Executive Artistic Director and Managing Director to help shape the IRT’s offerings, manage the IRT brand, and lead an in-house team and outside partners to plan and implement effective communications that build audiences and raise funds.
The successful candidate will:
- Plan and direct implementation of an integrated marketing and sales program including advertising, media relations, community relations, website, social media, cross promotion, grass roots outreach, collateral material, direct marketing, sponsorship materials, signage, group sales, single ticket sales, season ticket sales and more – all on a limited budget.
- Protect and develop the IRT brand onsite and in the marketplace.
- Negotiate media rates, ad buys, creative media and promotional partnerships.
- Create and direct the IRT’s audience development initiatives both online and in person, including the tactical cultivation of underrepresented audiences.
- Manage strategy and content for IRT’s websites and other online communication, including online publications, video & email marketing and social media. Manage in-house marketing team, including graphic designer, marketing manager, audience development manager, ticket office manager, ticketing systems specialist and telemarketing manager.
- Oversee and maintain relationships with outside vendors, agencies and designers.
- Establish and report metrics that prove success of IRT marketing and sales initiatives.
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven strategic thinking and communication skills, including strong writing ability, a savvy sense of design, proven social media and traditional media knowledge, polished speaking and presenting ability to small and large audiences.
- Excellent and collegial people-management, project-management and budget- management skills.
- Know the ins and outs of Indianapolis, central Indiana and the state of Indiana.
- Insight into art making, art patronage and audience development.
- Strong curiosity and a willingness to continually learn – in person, among other means – about the IRT’s audiences, funders, board members; best practices of other arts organizations; the community; the IRT; and the issues the IRT’s shows address.
- Be a collegial partner willing to ask probing, thoughtful questions in leadership meetings and work enthusiastically to support group decisions.
- Works cross-departmentally as a leader to carry out projects and resolve problems.
- Manages projects maintaining and meeting deadlines, prioritizing and multitasking.
- Is flexible and resourceful, especially when it comes to squeezing more impact from limited budgets.
- Anticipates needs of management and department.
- Maintains a professional demeanor, particularly when dealing with the public, board, members, donors or other important constituents.
- Exhibits interest in the community at large and the arts community; seeks out opportunities to become involved, foster relationships and create partnership opportunities when appropriate.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with IRT policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include delegating work to other staff and interns.
- Attend and represent the theatre at many performances, board meetings, committee meetings, community meetings, etc., frequently in the evening and on weekends.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Required education, experience and skills
- Bachelor’s degree or above in marketing, marketing communication, public relations, arts administration, journalism, English or a related field.
- Eight to ten years in a supervisory marketing communications/position.
- Excellent spoken language, writing and editing skills.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain complex budgets.
- Computer savvy, Tessitura or similar database management software knowledge a plus.
- Prioritizes to meet deadlines.
- Contemplates larger issues and ideas, while also thinking logically to maintain consistency and accuracy in work and brand management.
The IRT is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Resumes and inquiries to Suzanne Sweeney, firstname.lastname@example.org