LOTUS EDUCATION & ARTS FOUNDATION
Open Position: COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING DIRECTOR (PT)
The Lotus Communications & Marketing Director reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for the successful planning and execution of all Lotus marketing and communications efforts. The Communications & Marketing Director works closely with other Lotus staff and also supervises a Communications/Marketing Intern whose role complements these efforts. This is a part-time position averaging ~20 hours/week; distribution of hours varies with the Lotus event calendar. Some weekends and evenings required, especially around events. Starting salary commensurate with experience, range from $17.00/hr to $18.50/hr
Duties of the Communications & Marketing Director include:
- Continuously evaluate Lotus marketing strategies and introduce creative new ideas for greater impact. May include development of new content, improvements or changes to past approaches, or creative leveraging of partnerships and relationship.
- Effectively develop strategies to drive awareness, new initiatives, engagement, and advocacy among Lotus stakeholders.
- Research and monitor stakeholder involvement and engagement rates; develop and measure strategies for improvement.
- Develop and maintain a marketing calendar, including campaigns and deadlines for event promotion, print/web/email communications and assets, social media channels, general organizational promotion, press/media outreach, and other efforts as appropriate
- Strategically and creatively manage a limited marketing budget for maximum impact on an annual basis, including leveraging partnerships and coordinating with Development Director for use of grant funding or solicitation of in-kind donations.
- Develop and coordinate content across channels, according to organizational programs, priorities, and goals, as well as consistency with Lotus “voice” and visual identity. (Should expect heaviest loads in the lead-up to the fall Lotus World Music & Arts Festival.) Includes:
- Design, or managing design of, promotional assets for print and web. Includes, for example, posters, flyers, programs, ads, web graphics, monthly e-newsletters, fundraising assets, and other event-specific and day-to-day needs. Will involve some combination of personal design proficiency and coordination with outside artists or designers, as budget permits.
- Maintain Lotus website CONTENT, including regular PAGE & BLOG CONTENT, and larger updates from seasonal emphasis or programs.
- Manage and maximize Lotus Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media channels. Be mindful of Lotus YouTube channel and ensure that it is up-to-date with current content from outside videographers.
- Write a selection of press releases annually and manage/maintain press list(s) for distribution. Engage in targeted press outreach as appropriate.
- Maintain Lotus website (WordPress), including regular content maintenance, dynamic blog content, and larger updates for seasonal emphases or programs.
- Organize ad-buys and marketing outreach events as appropriate.
- Coordinate photography, videography, or other coverage of Lotus events.
- Maintain and ensure implementation of a communications calendar for organization that includes PR, donor communications, event marketing, and general promotions.
- Work as part of the Lotus team of permanent staff to provide input, ideas, and support for the larger Lotus mission and vision, including the organization’s current and future goals, opportunities, and evolution. Includes “all hands on deck” participation in events and programs as needed, as well as collaboration with specific staff members as appropriate.
The successful candidate will:
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 2-3 years of successful experience in a marketing position with a local or regional organization/company, including knowledge of local and regional demographics, media, vendors, and other networks.
- Demonstrate proficiency and creativity with graphic-design software (Adobe Creative Suite, etc.) and pre-press processes, and upon request, provide portfolio examples of original work. The strongest candidate will also have experience and proficiency with the following additional software or web applications: Microsoft Office, Google Docs, email marketing (MailChimp, Constant Contact, orsimilar), WordPress, Facebook/Twitter, and Instagram.
- Possess strong writing and editing skills, including the ability to produce concise, creative, engaging, and accurate written content for a variety of audiences. Careful proofreading ability is a must.
- Be deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and highly organized, with the ability to manage complex, multiple, and simultaneous projects. Teamwork is essential, as is the ability to take leadership initiative to complete projects independently.
- Believe in the Lotus mission and have a love of world cultures, music, and the arts. An understanding of event production (and the ability to manage occasional heavy production demands with aplomb) is a plus.
To apply for this position, please email the following application materials to HR@lotusfest.org:
- Cover Letter (no longer than one page)
- 4 portfolio samples (2 writing, 2 artwork/design) of relevant, original work on a past project
- List of three professional references with contact information
- Please submit all files in PDF format with your last name included in the file name. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.