IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.
The Madison Arts Commission is accepting applications from artists or design teams to provide a site-specific art feature for the State Street Confluence, a location adjacent to the intersection of the State Street Mall, the University of Wisconsin Library Mall and East Campus Mall as part of the State Street Reconstruction Project.
The Confluence has been designated as a “special place” along State Street, an eight-block long transit/pedestrian/bicycle mall connecting the UW-Madison campus and the State Capitol building. It is lined with theaters, museums, restaurants, taverns, and a variety of retail establishments. This project provides an opportunity for an artist or design team to create a site-specific art feature that affirms the character of Madison and celebrates State Street as Madison’s signature thoroughfare.
This call is open to artists or design teams who have the vision and skills required to complete the art feature commission to the highest standards of artistic innovative and technical expertise. While specific experience is not explicitly required it should be noted that this art feature commission requires individuals or teams with skills and experience commensurate with the responsibility of successfully completing a major outdoor public artwork with a substantial budget.
3-5 artists will be selected as finalists to submit site specific proposals, and will be eligible for a $4,000 honorarium budget to include design fee, presentation materials including maquette, travel expenses for both a preliminary site visit and a presentation visit to Madison, meetings, and promotion upon completion.
The total budget for the site specific commission is $160,000, which shall cover all costs associated with design, artist fees, structural engineering review, conservation/maintenance review, fabrication,transportation, installation, presentation, applicable insurance required of the Artist, tools, materials, labor, and all related costs required for the completion and installation of the art feature. There is already a foundation/footing and electricity stubbed to the site, so these costs are not the artist’s responsibility.
To be considered for the Confluence Public Art Feature, artists must submit an application package that includes the following (NOTE: Use label style shown in italics, replace JDoe with your first initial and last name or name of team lead):
1. Statement of Interest. A_Statement_JDoe.pdf Not to exceed two pages. Address your response to this project opportunity, experience, philosophy and statement of approach. Briefly describe your interest in a commission for the City of Madison and what you can bring to this project. Specific proposals for the art feature are not requested and will not be reviewed during this Phase I.
2. Current Resume(s) and Support Materials B_Resume_JDoe.pdf Not to exceed two pages for each artist. Include artist’s training and professional experience plus additional support material (not to exceed three pages) of press clippings or other relevant materials on past projects.
3. Representative Work and Documentation C_worksample1_JDoe.jpg; C_worksample2_JDoe.jpg; C_worksample3_JDoe.jpg; etc. Submit up to 10 digital JPEG images of relevant work. Images must be JPEG format, min. 200 dpi, maximum 600 x 800 pixels.
4. Image Index for Representative Work D_imagelist_JDoe.pdf An annotated image list, clearly labeled with your full name and information and a numerical listing for each image, the title of the work, budget, year completed, dimensions and media.
5. City Purchasing Form E: References Provide a list of 3-5 organizations and/or clients for whom the Applicant has commissioned work within the last 5 years. Include name, address, and phone number of contact person for each. Describe briefly the nature of the project and results.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application materials by uploading files to a folder in Dropbox and then sharing that folder with the City of Madison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please review the full Request for Qualifications for complete project and site information and application requirements.
QUESTIONS? Contact Brian Pittelli at Purchasing Services, PH: (608) 267-4969 FAX: (608) 266-5948 EMAIL email@example.com
© 2020 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.