IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.
Submission Deadline: November 25, 2016, 5:00 p.m.
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS – OLD TOWN GREENWOOD PUBLIC ART INITIATIVE
1. PROJECT INTRODUCTION
Restore Old Town Greenwood, Inc., (ROTG) an Indiana Main Street program in Greenwood, IN, invites both local and non-local artists to submit their qualifications for an illusionistic/trompe-l’oeil Mural. The Mural is to be painted on the north-facing wall of the Blind Pig Restaurant/Bar, located at 137-147 S. Madison Ave. in Old Town Greenwood. The north wall of the building is approximately 60 feet wide and 21 feet high at its highest point. (See attached drawing and picture) The commissioned Muralist will be responsible for the following:
a) Power washing the surface, removing any chipping paint, and priming the surface of the wall prior to painting the mural.
b) Providing high quality paints which will properly adhere to the surface and provide maximum durability and be able to withstand harsh outdoor elements for at least five (5) years.
c) Providing high quality anti-graffiti/UV filtering clear coat (two applications) to seal the mural upon completion.
d) Providing equipment and tools, brushes, scaffolding or lifts, barricades, or cones, etc. needed to complete the project
e) Cleaning the site upon completion of the mural.
f) Holding a Certificate of Liability Insurance (min. of $500, 000.00) and proof of either Workman’s Comp Insurance for employees or a State Waiver.
g) Providing maintenance plan for future repairs. The building owner will be responsible for replacing any missing or broken brick and removing all fixtures and the window air conditioners prior to the artist’s arrival.
2. PROJECT PURPOSE
This mural project represents Phase I of a larger planned public art initiative expressing Greenwood’s history, heritage, and identity.
3. PROJECT OBJECTIVES
The objectives of Restore Old Town Greenwood Public Art Initiative include:
4. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible to submit for this opportunity, artists must:
a) Be age 18 or over
b) Be willing to meet all contractual obligations and adhere to a strict budget and timeline
5. PROJECT BUDGET
The project carries a commission fee of $50,000. This fee is to cover all of the artist’s compensation and anticipated expenses including (but not limited to) artist design fee, artist labor, materials, and completed artwork. The Short-listed artist (finalist) will be paid a flat $250 fee to develop a proposal for the site.
Qualification packages are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 25, 2016. Electronic submissions are to be uploaded to a designated Dropbox folder. Please email a request for file access to email@example.com no later than November 23, 2016. You may also copy Qualification Packet to a CD or Thumb drive and mail to 330 W Main St., Greenwood, IN 46142. Late or incomplete submissions will NOT be considered.
7. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
1. Each submission must be accompanied by a completed and signed Application Form.
2. Submissions of up to 10 digital images of previous work in JPEG format.
3. Name your submitted digital files according to the following format: FirstLast_01.jpg, FirstLast_2.jpg, etc.(Example: JaneSmith_01.jpg)
4. Each submission must include a Letter of Intent (not to exceed 300 words) of the artist’s/artists’ vision and how it meets the Project Objectives. Please submit this as a PDF with “5” as follows:
5. Each submission must include an Artist Biography or resume (not to exceed 1 page).
Provide any information on previously related experience. Artist working collaboratively must submit a resume or other background information for each team member.
8. EVALUATION CRITERIA
Qualifications will be evaluated on how well they meet the requirements of the project. Major criteria to be considered in the evaluation may include, but shall not necessarily be limited to the following:
9. SELECTION PROCESS
A committee representing various interests of both the public and private sector will oversee the selection process as follows:
10. PROJECT TIMELINE
1. RFQ issued October 31, 2016
2. RFQ deadline November 25, 2016 (Friday, by 5:00 p.m.)
3. Submissions checked to see if they are timely and complete (November 28, 2016)
4. Committee members evaluate submissions (November 28, 2016)
5. Committee members meet to develop short list (November 28, 2016)
6. Short list artists are notified (November 29, 2016)
7. Short list artists interviews/mural designs due (January 27, 2017)
8. Committee meets to make selection (January 27, 2017))
9. Restore Old Town Greenwood Board of Directors meet to vote (January 30, 2017)
10. Winning Artist is notified and agrees to let ROTG use the design in a crowdfunding campaign to start February 1, 2017.
11. Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority and crowdfunding campaign funds obtained (March 31, 2017)
12. Artists are free to begin work on final fully executed artwork (April1, 2017)
13. Begin wall preparation and painting of mural (April – May, 2017)
14. ROTG ribbon cutting for completed mural project (June 1, 2017)
PLEASE DIRECT ALL QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATION TO:
Donna Anderson, President, Restore Old Town Greenwood, Inc.
(317) 893-5516 or firstname.lastname@example.org
OLD TOWN GREENWOOD MURAL PROJECT – Application Form
Please fill out the following application and submit it along with your comprehensive design and supporting materials. Submission deadline 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 25, 2016.
Check appropriate box:
__Submission by individual artist
__Submission by team of up to four (4) artists
Individual Artist Contact Information
Fill out this section only if you are an individual artist.
Organization (if applicable):
Address: State: ZIP:
Team Collaborations Contact Information
Fill out this section only if you are a collaborative team of up to four (4) artists.
Name of designated team leader/primary contact:
Names of other team members:
__By checking this box, you agree to allowing photos of the artist(s) to be used for promotional purposes.
I fully understand and agree to all the terms set forth in this application.
(Signature of Individual Artist)
(Signature of Designated Team Leader)
Deadline: 5:00 p.m. Friday, November 25, 2016. See RFP for complete instructions.
__ If applicable, obtain access to Restore Old Town Greenwood Inc., Dropbox by November 23, 2016
__ Up to 10 digital JPEG images of past work. Minimum size 5″ x 7” at 72 DPI. Maximum file size 5M per image.
__ Completed, signed Application Form
__ PDF consisting of the following items:
__ Letter of Interest
__ Image Descriptions
__ Artist Biography or resume for each team member
© 2020 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.