Palm Beach County’s Art in Public Places program seeks to commission an Artist or Artist team to design, fabricate and install light sculpture screens and gates for Palm Beach County Convention Center Courtyard’s highly visible north and east perimeters.
Eligibility: Open to all professional artists who are United States residents with experience designing, fabricating and installing large scale outdoor light sculptures.
Deadline: September 1, 2017
Facility and Surroundings
The County Convention Center is located in central Palm Beach County, only a few miles from the Intracoastal Waterway, Atlantic Ocean and the Palm Beach International Airport. The Convention Center is bordered on its west side by Howard Park, a City of West Palm Beach park. Immediately north of the Convention Center is the nationally acclaimed Kravis Center for the Performing Arts, and City Place, a $600 million entertainment complex of designer shops and restaurants. A new Hilton Hotel is to the Center’s east, along with residential neighborhoods to the Convention Center’s south and east.
- Iconic light sculpture screens and gates create a unique sense of place along Okeechobee Boulevard and within the Palm Beach County Convention Center’s Courtyard
- Sculptures offer seclusion from Courtyard’s surroundings, visually blocking traffic and limiting public access
- Illuminated signature sculptures enhance the Convention Center’s street presence day through evening for passersby and Convention Center patrons to enjoy
- Light sculpture’s materials require minimal maintenance and withstand intense local environment (sun, high winds, salty moist air, and rain)
- Artwork complements the architecture, style, scale, medium and integrity of the Center’s facility & surroundings
- Call to Artist Announced – August 4, 2017
- Q&A Deadline – August 11, 2017
- Submittal Deadline – September 1, 2017
- Short List Selection – Week of September 11, 2017
- Mandatory Pre Proposal Conference Call – Week of September 18
- Finalist Presentations / Selection – Week of October 23, 2017
- Artist Contract Approval by Board of County Commissioners – November 21, 2017
- Complete Design Development – by December 22, 2017
- Complete Construction Documents – by January 19, 2018
- Submit Site Plan Amendment – by January 26, 2018
- Submit Permit – by January 26, 2018
- Site Plan Amendment and Permit Approval – by March 2, 2018
- Fabrication Complete – by April 30, 2018
- Installation Complete – by May 10, 2018
Up to three artists will be short listed based on the following:
- Demonstrated ability to design, construct and install large scale outdoor light sculptures
- Quality and strength of past work as demonstrated in the submitted application materials
Shortlisted finalists will be asked to create proposals and will be compensated $2,000.
Submit ONLY via the Palm Beach County Share File System
A complete Short List submittal consists of the following:
- Digital Images of Past Work (JPEG)
- 10 JPEGS with Images of Past Work. Only 1 Image per JPEG. Multiple IMAGES per JPEG not accepted.
- JPEG file name: Artist’s Last Name_First Name_Image Number, to correspond with the annotated image list
- A total of ten (10) JPEGS should highlight at least three (3) different completed artworks or projects. At least one project must feature the Artist’s ability to create large scale light sculptures.
- Only submit images of projects that have been realized to final completion. Images of proposals, models, computer generated images and/or incomplete projects will not be reviewed and will disqualify the Artist from this proposal
- JPEGS must be 1920 pixels maximum on the longest side, 72 dpi with compression settings resulting in the best image quality under 2MB file size
- Letter of Interest (PDF)
- Express your interest in this project and address how you/your team’s past work demonstrate you can meet the project’s goals and timeline.
- LOI file name: include Artist’s Last Name_First Name_Letter of Interest
- Please include name, address, email, phone and website on this document (1 page maximum)
- Annotated Image List (PDF)
- Include the following information for each image: number, Artist name(s), title of work/project, location of project, materials used, dimensions, budget, and name of commissioning agency and a sentence about artwork
- Resume file name: include Artist’s Last Name_ First Name_Annotated Image List
- Please include name, address, email, phone and website on this document.
- Resume (PDF)
- Emphasize professional Public Art experience. (2 page maximum per team member)
- Resume file name: include Artist’s Last Name_ First Name_Resume
- Please include name, address, email, phone and website on this document
To view complete Request for Qualifications, visit the Palm Beach County Vendor Self-Service page, click on “Public Access” on the lower left side, then on the next page type “CONVENTION CENTER” into the search blank.
QUESTIONS? All questions regarding this Call to Artists must be directed in writing to the Palm Beach County’s Public Art Administrator Elayna Toby Singer at email@example.com.