IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.
Since 1968, the Studio Museum has earned recognition for its catalytic role in advancing the work of visual artists of African and Afro-Latinx descent through its Artist-in-Residence program. The program has supported over 100 graduates who have gone on to highly regarded careers.
Every year, the Museum offers an eleven-month residency for three local, national, or international emerging artists working in any media. Each artist receives institutional guidance and professional development, research support, and a stipend of 20K paid out on a bi-weekly basis over the course of the residency.
Application materials are due by 11:59pm EST on April 19, 2021. All recommendation letters are due by 11:59pm EST on April 21, 2021.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AS YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:
– At present, the Museum is not able to guarantee the offering of physical studio spaces due to the ongoing restrictions and limitations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic; the Museum will continue to keep applicants informed as updates develop.
– Artists should apply to the residency with the expectation that they are able to work remotely and are required to engage with their studio practice in this form at a minimum of twenty hours per week.
– Over the course of the residency program artists are required to participate in the Museum’s annual Open Studios, a select number of public programs, and in an active and rigorous engagement with the Museum’s Curatorial team and other Museum departments via video conference.
– At the end of the residency there will be a culminating project in celebration of the work made throughout the course of the program; contingent on the impact of COVID-19 this may take a variety of forms. The Museum Curatorial team will work closely with the artists to consider how this will take form.
– Artists should not currently be in school or committed to another residency while in the Studio Museum Artist-in-Residence program.
To learn more and apply, click here.
© 2021 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.