The San Francisco Arts Commission invites artists and artist teams to submit qualifications for a public artwork at the Potrero Gateway Park. The site provides many opportunities for mural and tile treatment, and may also accommodate art lighting if budget and site constraints allow.
ELIGIBILITY: Artists and artist teams living in the United States
DEADLINE: January 11, 2021
Review full RFQ here.
In 2004, members of the Mariposa-Utah Street Neighborhood Association (MUNA), met to address a poorly maintained Caltrans property bordering the 101 freeway on 17th Street between Vermont Street and San Bruno Avenue. This area, comprised of Caltrans right-of-way property, presents a myriad of urban problems such as encampments, crime, debris dumping, and more. In 2015, MUNA formed the Potrero Gateway Steering Committee (PGSC), which worked extensively to plan and fundraise resources to improve the Potrero Gateway. PGSC subsequently received substantial funding and support from multiple public agencies and the surrounding neighborhoods to address the identified problems in the Potrero Gateway public space.
- Art that transforms the 17th Street area from one currently of blight to be avoided, into an engaging, beautiful and compelling public environment and thoroughfare
- Art that connects to the larger Potrero Gateway Project
- Art that enhances wayﬁnding, and enrichens the experience of traveling through the area
- If possible, art that has both a day and night presence
Opportunities for artwork at this site include:
- Murals on the four 8’ x 8’ concrete blocks at sidewalk level
- Murals and or tile on retaining walls and concrete planters/seaters that will be added to the site
- Ground embedded up-lighting installed along the sloped area may possible if budget and site constraints allow.
WHAT TO PROVIDE
- Letter of Interest: One page maximum. This should be a summary of your artistic focus and professional career, especially as your background relates to this project. Do not make a specific proposal for a new commission.
- Resume: If you are applying as a team, please include your team/studio resume. If that is not available, please combine the individual resumes (one right after the other) of each team member into one document.
- Ten images of previous work: SlideRoom accepts all image file types up to 5MB. Images should at least 72 dpi and no larger than 1280 x 1280 pixels
For team application, please indicate the lead artist for each project.
- Image Descriptions: When you upload your images, SlideRoom will prompt you to fill out image descriptions. Please include the title, medium, dimensions, and the create date for each work. You may also include a brief statement (2 sentences maximum) about each work.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply through Slideroom.
QUESTIONS? Contact Craig Corpora, email@example.com or 415-252-2249