Historical - Outdoor Sculpture
(317) 631-3301 ext. 214
44 E New York St, Indianapolis, IN, 46204
Located along the southern boundary of University Park, this sculpture is a full-length portrait of Benjamin Harrison, 23rd president of the United States and an Indiana native. He is shown with his right hand raised in a gesture of speech. The exedra, a semicircular portico with seats located behind the sculpture, was designed by Bacon. The sculpture is a memorial to Harrison, the “faith he taught” and his “industry, fidelity, courage, sound statesmanship, and justice through the law.” The monument was erected by Indianapolis citizens and dedicated in 1908. Manufactured by Gorham Manufacturing Company (foundry). Dedicated October 27, 1908.
Date created: 1908