Architectural Detailing - Outdoor Sculpture
650 W Washington St, Indianapolis, IN, 46204
This 40-inch stainless steel sculpture is an abstract engine crankshaft. There are exhaust pipes on the structure’s side. A narrow spire atop the piece’s crest mimics the steeple of Columbus’ North Christian Church, erected in 1864 by architect Eero Saarinen. All of the objects are uniquely significant in supporting both industry and art.
Designers Jeff Laramore and David Jemerson Young of 2nd Globe, an Indianapolis–based artistic company designed all 92 and the county sculptures featured on the outside of the Indiana State Museum. Their designs narrate the counties’ famous natives, historically significant events, or their fabricated and installed by various Indiana sculptors, carvers, class workers, metal workers, and other artisans.