5627 Julian Ave, Indianapolis, IN, 46219
Irvington is home to more than 11,000 residents living in an area roughly bordered by 10th Street and Emerson, English, and Edmondson Avenues. It is a historic district five miles east of downtown Indianapolis, founded in 1870 by prominent abolitionist lawyers Jacob Julian and Sylvester Johnson. Named for writer Washington Irving and straddling the Historic National Road, the carefully planned neighborhood was originally platted as an independent suburban town but was annexed by the city of Indianapolis in 1902.
This mural on the garage in back of The Marilyn Building (apartments) faces Pennsy Trail and alludes to Irvington’s history. The artists and his helpers are all from the Hvidston family–Doug, the artist, Dean, his brother and Emily, Doug’s daughter–are also all Irvington residents.
Medium type: Paint
Date created: 2017