IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled. for More Details. CLICK HERE
Coyote (1970) is a faithful replica, in limestone, of the 1970 Indy 500 car driven by AJ Foyt. Rendered in actual scale, the detail indicates the sponsorship of many companies like Ford, Firestone, STP. The car number is “7”. The sculpture was a gift to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway from Architectural Stone Sales and the Evans family of Bedford, Indiana.
A.J. Foyt (1935- ) is a legendary race car driver, the only one to have won the Indy 500 (four times), the Daytona 500, the 24 Hours of Daytona race, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans races plus the 12 Hours of Sebring race. He has been inducted into numerous racing sports halls of fame.
The Coyote was a brand of race car chassis designed and built by Foyt’s team for him to race. It was used from 1966 to 1983, with Foyt himself making 141 starts in the car, and winning 25 times. Two of those wins were at the Indy 500 race, in 1967 and 1977. Later, driver and race team owner Eddie Cheever obtained permission from Foyt to use the Coyote name for his new Daytona prototype chassis, debuting in 2007.
Louis Chevrolet Memorial
This memorial, also known as Founders Plaza, features a bust of Louis Chevrolet on a pedestal in front of a curved marble seating area with four bronze reliefs of some of the founders of the car/racing industry, including Henry Ford (1923); Gaston Chevrolet (1920); Tommy Milton (1921); and Louis Chevrolet (1911).
The memorial, designed by Fred Wellman and sculpted by Adolph Wolter, was created during 1968–1970 and installed in the spring of 1975. Wellman conceived his idea for a Louis Chevrolet memorial in 1964 after visiting Chevrolet’s grave in the Holy Cross and St. Joseph Cemetery in Indianapolis, and realized that he was under-recognized for his contributions to the auto and racing industries.
The centerpiece of the memorial is a bronze bust of Chevrolet wearing a racing cap and goggles; it rests on a marble and granite square base. The relief panels show Chevrolet and William C. Durant, founder of General Motors, with the first Chevrolet Classic Six touring car in 1911; Chevrolet’s first winning car at Indianapolis 500 in 1920, driven by his brother Gaston, with four Speedway pioneers in the background, Carl G. Fisher, James A. Allison, Lem H. Trotter and T. E. (Pop) Meyers; Chevrolet’s second Indianapolis winner in 1921, driven by Tommy Milton, with Capt. Edward V. Rickenbacker, Col. Arthur W. Herrington, Louis Schwitzer, and Cornelius W. Van Ranst; and Chevrolet’s 1923 Barber-Warnock Fronty-Ford, which placed fifth driven by L. L. Corum, with Henry Ford at the wheel, flanked by Barney Oldfield, Chevrolet, and Harvey Firestone.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.