This fountain is the fourth to have existed at the intersection of Virginia Avenue, Prospect Street, and Shelby Street. The first was a classical design with drinking places for horses and humans, surmounted by a cast iron statue of a seminude figure of the goddess Hebe, nicknamed “Lady Spray.” It was erected in 1889 and paid for by Fountain Square business owners. The second fountain was commissioned in the early 1920s, and was dedicated in 1924 as a memorial to former Indiana Congressman
Date created: 2009
Shelby St and Virginia Ave, Indianapolis, IN, 46203
© 2021 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.