IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.
Mercury and Two Allegorical Figures was carved by limestone sculptor Henry Saunders between 1896 and 1897. The sculpture was formerly located atop Indiana National Bank Building at the intersection of Virginia Avenue and South Pennsylvania from 1897-1970. The INB building was designed by August C. Bohlen, and was razed in 1970.
The sculpture features the figure of the Roman god Mercury, who often represents Commerce, with winged helmet and sandals crouched behind two seated female figures.
One Indiana Square, Indianapolis, IN, 46204
© 2021 - Arts Council of Indianapolis - All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.