IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled.CLICK HERE for More Details.

The Ruins

The Ruins

In 1916, at the centennial celebration of Indiana statehood, John and Evaline Holliday donated their 80-acre country estate along what is now Spring Mill Road to the City of Indianapolis for a park. It was the Hollidays’ intent that the land be used for recreation and the study of nature, and the grounds as a public park and playground.

Meanwhile, New York’s first skyscraper, the St. Paul Building, had been built in 1898. One of the outstanding architectural sculptors of the day, Karl Bitter,

View more
Location: Holliday Park

Medium type: Brick; Concrete; Stone/Marble; Water

Date created: 1978


6363 Spring Mill Rd., Indianapolis, IN, 46260

Associated artists

Elmer Taflinger
Elmer Taflinger
Karl Bitter
Karl Bitter


  • Courtesy of Ken Norris


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>


Artsopolis Network Members: Akron OH | Austin TX | Bainbridge Island WA | Birmingham AL | Boston MA | Cape Cod MA | Cincinnati OH | Cleveland OH | Colorado Springs CO | Columbia SC | DuPage County IL | Durham NC | Essex County MA | Flagstaff AZ | Flint MI | Fort Lauderdale FL | Indianapolis IN | Kalamazoo MI | Kansas City MO | KeepMovingOKC | Macon GA | Main Line Area PA | Marin County CA | Marquette County MI | Mendocino County CA | Middlesex County NJ | Milwaukee WI | Montgomery County MD | Napa Valley CA | Nashville TN | Niagara County NY | Oklahoma City OK | Orange County CA | Orlando FL | Ottawa IL | Panama City FL | Pittsburgh PA | Providence RI | Richardson TX | Sacramento CA | San Antonio TX | St. Cloud MN | St. Croix Valley MN/WI | St. Johns County FL | Stillwater MN | Tallahassee FL | Utah | Ventura CA | York County PA