IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled. for More Details. CLICK HERE
The Indianapolis Public Library is the community's place to access essential information resources, technology, programs and services; foster reading and learning and promote the social, economic, recreational and lifelong learning interests of its diverse population.
Decatur Public library
Decatur Township was the first Marion County Township outside Center Township to receive a branch library. Opening on August 9, 1967 and located in a storefront location in the Marwood Shopping Center, 3373 Kentucky Ave., it was first named the Marwood Branch Library. While serving the Mars Hill and Maywood neighborhoods north on Kentucky Ave. the branch also served the established rural areas further south in Decatur Township such as Camby, Valley Mills and West Newton. Circulation averaged around 80,000 to 90,000 annually while the collection size was around 5,500 books.
Flanner House Library
IndyPL has been associated with the Flanner House social services agency for many years, in cooperation with the Library Committee of the Flanner House Board of Directors. Originally a library station was opened in Lockfield Gardens in 1967. When this building closed, a library was included in the Flanner House building at 2110 North Illinois Street. In the fall of 1979, the Flanner House organization and the Flanner House Branch Library moved to their present home, the Flanner House Community Center at 2424 Northwestern Ave., now renamed Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Street. The 3,000 square-foot Flanner House Branch Library opened in the new multi-service center on October 29, 1979, the twenty-third branch in the IndyPL system, and the first to be opened in a multi-service complex.
Fountain Square Branch
Located in the heart of the Fountain Square Business District, the Fountain Square Branch Library has had many past homes.
Opening in 1896 as "Branch #3," our branch was the third oldest in the system. In 1906 it moved to 1913 Prospect Street and became the Prospect Branch, where it remained for 35 years.
In 1941 it moved to 1125 Spruce Street, taking over the old IPS School #20. In 1969 it was relocated to 1831 Prospect Street. In 1994 the library made a bold move to the ground floor of the Historic Fountain Block Building at 1066 Virginia Avenue. This doubled the library’s size to over 5,000 square feet and placed it in the heart of the Fountain Square Business District.
Garfield Park Branch Library
The Garfield Park Branch, formerly known as the Shelby Branch, serves a lively and diverse population on the south side of Indianapolis. Its current name reflects the desire of neighborhood residents to refer to the branch by their beloved and well-known Garfield Park, which sits adjacent to the branch.
The original Shelby Branch opened on September 9, 1918 when the south side was still mainly farmland. The library was first housed in the old District School No. 34 at 2359 Shelby Street. Construction began on a 6,400-square-foot facility in 1964, and the new Shelby Branch opened on November 8, 1965. Following a major renovation project in the summer and fall of 2011, the library reopened as the Garfield Park Branch on November 3, 2011.
Haughville Branch Library
Branch 2, the longest continuously operating branch of the Indianapolis Public Library system, originally opened in December, 1896 in a small frame building occupied by a Gospel Rescue Mission. It was located at the corner of Brookside Avenue and Tenth Street. In early 1897 the village known as Haughville became a part of the city and soon afterwards the residents petitioned for a library. Branch 2 was moved from the east side to 2523 West Walnut, a small frame building in the yard of School No. 52. It eventually became known as The Haughville Branch, reflecting the neighborhood it served. The branch moved again in 1901 to the former Town Hall on Germania Avenue, later renamed Belleview Place. In this storefront building the library was expanded three times from a small, one-room library to encompass the entire first floor. A fire in 1904 partially destroyed the library, consuming much of the furniture and more than 400 books. It soon reopened in the same location, and remained there until it relocated to the Michigan Plaza Shopping Center near Holt Road in 1972.
On December 20, 1903, the Bona Thompson library was given to Butler College by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Thompson in memory of their late daughter. Butler College immediately entered into an agreement with the Board of School Commissioners for the Thompson Library to become a branch of the Public Library.
In 1914 the Irvington Branch relocated to a rented store room; in September, 1921, it moved into a small, two-story house located at 5427 East Washington Street. Library staff pioneered the first pre-school story hour in 1951. When a new facility was built in 1956 on the same site, a request was made to the Library Board that it be named in honor of Irvington’s distinguished citizen, Hilton U. Brown, editor of the Indianapolis News and vice president of Indianapolis Newspapers Inc.
The Lawrence Branch Library originally opened on September 5, 1967 at 4419 North Franklin Road in a storefront building previously occupied by the Lawrence Post Office. It was the first branch library opened within an incorporated town in Marion County.
Library Services Center
The Library Services Center houses the administrative support center for the county-wide Library system. The building was completed in 1993 and consolidated functions from four other locations. Outreach Services, Technical Services, Information Technology, Shipping and Receiving, Supply, Community Relations, the Administrative Offices, Volunteer Services, Foundation and Indy Reads are located at LSC.
Nora Central Library
By the late 1960’s it became apparent that there was a need for a new branch library to serve the rapidly expanding area of suburban Washington township. In September 1968, Mr. and Mrs. Harrison Eiteljorg generously donated a 2.56 acre lot on the corner of 86th Street and Guilford Avenue for that purpose. The Nora library opened on July 1, 1971. The building was expanded to a total of 18,500 square feet in 1990.
Pike Central Library
The second county branch in the library system, the Westlane branch opened at 7141 North Michigan Road on August 14, 1967 with only 1,500 square feet and 3,000 volumes. In October 1969 the library was expanded to 3,300 square feet.
Sullivan Munce Cultural Center
Sullivan Munce Cultural Center, including the Sullivan Museum, Genealogy Library, and Munce Art Center, features a wide range of exhibits, events and programs to celebrate the culture of a historic town where the past is preserved and the future is embraced. They invite you to make the Sullivan Munce your destination for art, history, and genealogy.
Disclaimer: The Arts Council of Indianapolis provides this database and website as a service to artists, arts organizations, and consumers alike. All information contained within the database and website was provided by the artists or arts organizations. No adjudication or selection process was used to develop this site or the artists and organizations featured. While the Arts Council of Indianapolis makes every effort to present accurate and reliable information on this site, it does not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor does it guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information.