During the 1830s, Michigan Road (U.S. 421) first connected the Great Lakes at Michigan City with the Ohio River. Michigan Road was Indiana’s first major north-south highway. In 1858, the federal government built a stone and brick lighthouse on Lake Michigan, equipped with a whale oil lantern visible for 15 miles.
This piece is exposed to all weather, all hours of the day and night, and beams light from high atop the museum’s northwest wall. The lighthouse-like cylindrical form contains an
650 W Washington St, Indianapolis, IN, 46204