92 County Walk- Marion County
Artist: David Jemerson Young, Jeff Laramore
Date created: 2001
This piece depicts a geometrical grid of colored squares to represent the original plat map for Indianapolis. In the center is a gleaming white sparkplug indicating the state’s capital. There are several Indianapolis landmarks visible in the Marion County piece including; the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (on the far left side), the College Park “pyramids” (top left), and the Lilly Pharmaceutical factory, the state capital building and the Indiana State Museum itself. These landmarks are symbolized on the inner portion of the circle by simple geometrical shapes.
Indiana, Marion County, Indianapolis. Designers Jeff Laramore and David Jameson Young of 2nd Globe, an Indianapolis –based artistic company designed all 92 and the county sculptures featured on the outside of the Indiana State Museum. Their designs narrate the counties’ famous natives, historically significant events, or their fabricated and installed by various Indiana sculptors, carvers, class workers, metal workers, and other artisans.
The Capital Commission, meeting ner what would become the junction of the National Road and White River, identified the location as the site of the new state capital in 1822. Alexander Ralston and Elias P. Fordham, influenced by Charles Enfant, the designer of Washington D.C. laid out the new City, Indianapolis.